Friday, February 5, 2016

Pork Steaks

Champagne's grocery had pork steaks for sale at $1.49/lb.  I picked up five of them.  I have never cooked a "pork steak" before.  I decided to cook it as I would a beefsteak.  I salt and peppered it then cooked it up in a black-iron skillet in bacon fat.  It was rather tasty and fairly tender.  Then I read about trichinosis.


After that alarming information, I have just cooked a pork steak for dinner and allowed it to reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit.  First I sprinkled both sides of the steak with salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard powder, and ginger powder.  After rubbing that in, I tossed it into very hot coconut oil (near smoke point) in a hot black iron skillet for five minutes per side.


The inside measured at 120F; this was far too cool.  So, I lowered the burner to medium-high and cooked it until it reached 160F, flipping it a couple of times for even cooking.  It has been resting while I write this.  Time to give it a taste.


It is very flavorful and I would not be embarrassed to offer it to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment