Sunday, December 20, 2020

How to Catch and Clean Carp

 I live a good stones throw from the bayou Teche, if you have a really good arm and can find a stone.  Rock gardens are imports here in South Louisiana.  I have grown up fishing on the bayou and have almost always caught catfish.  There are many other types of fish to be found in the bayou as I could see from the annual fish kills when the sugar mills would open.  Those kills do not happen any more as the mills have cleaned up their act and been reduced in number.

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes eat at a friends house where his mom served fish court bouillon.   There would often be a carp in the pot.  It had been scaled and cleaned with the head still attached.  Although it was always great tasting food, the fish would have many small bones to pick out so I never really even considered catching them.

Today, I decided to do some research on catching and cleaning carp.  I was surprised at how different the hook and bait rigs were from what I was used to.  I believe that I can rig something up myself and will give it a try in the bayou.  However, I think all I catch will be catfish.

After reading a few articles and such, I decided to watch a video on the matter and found this gem.  I hope you enjoy is as much as I did.  I was hooked after the 3:50 mark when Nathan ate something he should not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment